Saturday, March 5, 2011

Ariba Ariba Senor Africa!


Yes, I traveled ALL the way to Africa to have some Mexican food. My house decided that we have had enough of South Africa thinking that nachos consisted of Doritos with melted cheese on top, thus we had a Mexican night. It was the first time my whole house of 17 came together and ate together. Ever since my arrival, I have been cooking everyday. I can confidently say that I am a pasta and steak whiz! Now, I know that does not sound like much, but trust me. It has actually become something I look forward to everyday and I am finally trying all these dishes that I have always wanted to attempt but was either A) too lazy B) cheap or C) scared. Either way, I can confidently say, that cooking is not difficult. But then again, I have not attempted Macarona Barshamel…


Ok, so while we sat there jam-packed on the tables in our courtyard with a feast that would make Speedy Gonzalez proud, I realized that these people are my “family.” That is a loaded word that holds a lot of meaning behind it. It goes beyond them residing in the same vicinity as I. But these are those who I come home to everyday, sit next to in class, go out with and am growing up with. It finally dawned on me that these are not merely buddies or roommates for the duration of 5 months, but instead they are the ones that are going to shape me and vice versa. They ARE my abroad experience. Although I will remember the events, parties and activities here, it is the company of those going through the same realizations as I that I will hold onto. It is during moments like Mexican night, that I can fully see what lays ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment